Lighthouse in Superior Free for Taking
An historic lighthouse in Superior is free for the taking.
The Superior Entry lighthouse stands on Wisconsin Point at the entrance of the port of Superior, Wis. The lighthouse is no longer needed by the U.S. Coast Guard, so the lighthouse is being offered to any eligible group that would use it — and pay for its upkeep — for education, recreational, cultural or historic preservation purposes.
Construction on the lighthouse began in 1911 and was first lit in 1913. The current light flashes green every five seconds; its foghorn sounds for three seconds twice a minute as needed.
Whoever takes control of the lighthouse would have to agree to several conditions. The structure is on the National Register of Historic Places, and the new owner must maintain the structure to federal standards. In addition, the Coast Guard will reserve the right to service, replace or move the still-operating light and foghorn.
The federal government is making the offer under the National Historic Lighthouse Preservation Act, which aims to find stewards for lighthouses in an effort to save tax dollars while preserving the past.
Information on the lighthouse can be found here.