Photo of the Day: Stevens Point Emerges From Freeze
Area residents still under run water orders
Downtown Stevens Point was alive with activity Monday as shoppers- and more importantly, strollers- were enticed by Monday’s high temperature of 43 degrees.
Central Wisconsin seems to have emerged from several weeks of subzero temps, responsible in part for at least four water mains bursting in the City of Stevens Point as well as frozen laterals at several residences throughout the area. The danger of frozen pipes isn’t over yet, though.
Water Director Joel Lemke said residence with a history of freezing pipes should continue running a pencil- sized stream of water nonstop from their tap faucet until further notice.
“While those two few feet might thaw out, your still looking at freezing conditions below that,” he said.
Officials from Plover and Whiting also are asking residents with a history of problems to continue running water until further notice, and the Village of Whiting is still operating under a run water order.
“It’s like we’re in a little ice age now, holy cow,” said Whiting Utilities Director Matt Saloun. “We’ve been seeing a good six feet of frost out in the streets, and what would be a typical or normal amount would be maybe in the 3 1/2 or 4 foot range.”
Saloun said the run water order for Whiting residents would likely continue until early April to ensure frost is completely gone from the ground.
According to the National Weather Service, here’s the forecast for the rest of this week:
- Tuesday A chance of rain and snow before 4pm, then a slight chance of snow after 5pm. Cloudy, with a high near 37. North wind 5 to 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
- Tuesday Night A slight chance of snow showers before 7pm, then a chance for flurries, and then scattered snow showers again after 10pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 16. North wind around 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
- Wednesday Scattered snow showers before 1pm, then a chance for flurries. Partly sunny, with a high near 20. North wind 10 to 14 mph, with gusts as high as 21 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
- Wednesday Night A chance of flurries after 4am. Partly cloudy, with a low around 4. North northwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
- Thursday A chance of flurries. Partly sunny, with a high near 37.
- Thursday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around 27.
- Friday Mostly sunny, with a high near 41.
- Friday Night A chance of flurries. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 22.
- Saturday Partly sunny, with a high near 33.
- Saturday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 14.
- Sunday Partly sunny, with a high near 28.
- Sunday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around 10.
- Monday Mostly sunny, with a high near 25.