North Central Region Road Construction Update
For the City-Times
The Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) provides a weekly update on road construction in North Central Wisconsin, which includes: Adams, Green Lake, Florence, Forest, Iron, Langlade, Lincoln, Marathon, Marquette, Menominee, Oneida, Portage, Price, Shawano, Vilas, Waupaca, Waushara, and Wood counties.
Construction-related traffic impacts are subject to change and are dependent on favorable weather conditions and construction status.
Green Lake County
Highway: WIS 23 (*updated*)
Location: Green Lake County A to Arcade Glen Road (Ripon)
Schedule: April 21 to late November 2014 Cost: $14 million Description: Crews will reconstruct WIS 23 from WIS 49/County A to Arcade Glen Road.
Traffic impacts: Beginning August 21, motorists can expect the following:
- WIS 23, from the intersection of WIS 49/County A to Arcade Glen Road (Ripon) will be detoured via County A, County K, County KK, and WIS 44/49.This detour will be in place until July 2014.
- WIS 23 will be closed east of Sunnyside Road to 1,000 feet west of Brooklyn J Road (for construction of the Silver Creek Tributary box culvert) for no more than 21 calendar days.
- WIS 23 will be closed west of the intersection with S. Koro Road to Comorn Road (for construction of the Silver Creek box culvert extension) for no more than 21 calendar days. Access will be maintained around the Silver Creek culvert via S. Koro Road.
- The WIS 49/County A intersection will remain open to traffic with a four-way stop during all stages of construction. Motorists can expect daytime, single lane closures and flagging operations.
Highway: Business 51 (Grand Avenue) (*updated*)
Location: Kent Street to Division Street
Schedule: April 28, 2014 to early October 2014 Cost: $2.9 million Description: Crews will mill the existing pavement and replace it with new asphalt. The existing lighting system will be replaced, bicycle accommodations will be provided and the existing corrugated median will be removed.
Traffic impacts: Business 51 (Grand Avenue) will remain open to one lane of traffic in each direction during construction. Motorists can expect to encounter delays, especially during peak travel hours. During construction, the speed limit will be reduced to 30 MPH in the work zone.
Highway: US 51 (*updated*)
Location: Marathon County U and K/Business 51 interchange, Wausau
Schedule: April 1, 2013 to late November 2014 Cost: $28 million Description: Crews will reconstruct the interchange.
- Decator Drive, under US 51, is closed daily closures from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. These closures will occur through early June.
- Northbound US 51 traffic is shifted to an adjacent temporary roadway until August 2014.
- The speed limit on US 51 is reduced to 55 MPH between Bridge Street and Decator Drive.
- Motorists can expect to encounter single lane closures on US 51, except during peak traffic hours, holidays and on weekends.
- Northbound US 51 traffic exiting to County K/Business 51 is detoured via the northbound US 51 off-ramp to County U, and Merrill Avenue/County U.
- The eastbound and westbound lanes of County K (Business 51) under the US 51 bridges are closed and will remain closed until early October 2014. During the closure, traffic is detoured via County U and Overlook Drive.
- The on-ramp to southbound US 51 from County K is closed and will remain closed until early October 2014.
- The on-ramp to northbound US 51 from County K (Business 51) and the southbound US 51 off-ramp to County K (Business 51) will remain open to traffic.
Location: Portage to Packwaukee
Schedule: March 24, 2014 to mid-July 2014
Cost: $1.3 million Description: Crews will complete bridge maintenance on the northbound I 39 bridges over Neenah Creek, County O, WIS 23/County P, County CX, and WIS 23/County P. The Grouse Drive bridge over I 39 will be raised to meet current design and safety standards.
Traffic impacts: During construction, motorists on I-39 can expect to encounter single lane closures and a speed reduction to 55 MPH. Grouse Drive will be closed after Memorial Day until mid-July. No formal detour will be posted.
Highway: US 51
Location: Old Hwy 70 (Minocqua) to 3rd Avenue (Woodruff)
Schedule: March 31 to late August 2014 Cost: $4.6 million Description: Crews will reconstruct the intersections of WIS 70 west and County J to include additional turn lanes and new traffic signals; install new street lighting; reconstruct the roadway with new asphalt pavement and curb and gutter, replace storm, sanitary and water lines.
Traffic impacts: Motorists can expect to encounter a minimum of one lane in each direction throughout most of construction. At times, traffic may be reduced to a single lane with flagging operations. Motorists should plan for delays.
Highway: WIS 156
Location: Robley Road to Lessor Navarino Road
Schedule: April 21, 2014 to mid-July 2014
Cost: $897,000 Description: Crews will remove the existing roadway and replace it with a wider pavement surface to provide a safer surface for bike and pedestrian traffic.
Traffic impacts:. WIS 156 will be closed to through traffic and detoured via WIS 187, County F and WIS 47. Access to businesses and residences will be maintained throughout the duration of the project.
Motorists are reminded to drive with caution in the work zone and should be prepared to encounter slow moving trucks. Motorists should slow down, use caution and stay alert when driving through construction zones. To avoid delays, consider taking an alternative route and avoid peak travel periods.
For more information regarding traffic impacts in the North Central Region:
- Follow us on Twitter: @511WI_NoCentral for regional alerts from the Traffic Incident Alert System and for construction related traffic advisories.
- Check the Wisconsin Department of Transportation 511 Web site: www.511wi.gov
Alerts and updates provided via these sites are not intended for use while driving. When driving, your focus should always be on driving.