North Central Region Road Construction Update
For the City-Times
The Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) provides a weekly update on road construction in North Central Wisconsin, which includes: Adams, Green Lake, Florence, Forest, Iron, Langlade, Lincoln, Marathon, Marquette, Menominee, Oneida, Portage, Price, Shawano, Vilas, Waupaca, Waushara, and Wood counties.
Construction-related traffic impacts are subject to change and are dependent on favorable weather conditions and construction status.
Green Lake County
Highway: WIS 23 (*updated*)
Location: Green Lake County A to Arcade Glen Road (Ripon)
Schedule: April 21 to late November 2014 Cost: $14 million Description: Crews will reconstruct WIS 23 from WIS 49/County A to Arcade Glen Road.
- WIS 23, from the intersection of WIS 49/County A to Arcade Glen Road (Ripon) is detoured via County A, County K, County KK, and WIS 44/49. This detour will be in place until July 2014.
- During the week of April 28, crews will be working along the shoulder of County A.
- Beginning April 28, the intersection of N. Lawson Street/North Street, in the city of Green Lake, will be closed for approximately two weeks. Access to properties within the work zone will be maintained.
- Starting the week of April 28, crews will close WIS 23 east of Sunnyside Road to 1,000 feet west of Brooklyn J Road (for construction of the Silver Creek Tributary box culvert) for no more than 21 calendar days.
- The WIS 49/County A intersection will remain open to traffic with a four-way stop during all stages of construction.
- Local access to properties and businesses located on the project will be maintained.
Highway: WIS 29 (*added*)
Location: Sunrise Drive to Business 51
Schedule: April 29, 2013 to May 25 2017 Cost: $18.8 million Description: Crews will replace the pavement on eastbound and westbound WIS 29 and replace the bridge decks of the structures located over the Wisconsin River and Business 51. Crews will also raise the Sunrise Drive overpass and repair the overpass’ bridge deck.
Traffic impacts: During construction, WIS 29 and Business 51 will remain open to traffic in each direction. Motorists can expect to encounter single lane closures during off-peak hours. Sunrise Drive will be closed from June 10 to August 1, 2014, for deck raising and overlay work, with no posted detour. Access to businesses and residences will be maintained.
Highway: Business 51 (Grand Avenue) (*updated*)
Location: Kent Street to Division Street
Schedule: April 28, 2014 to early October 2014 Cost: $2.9 million Description: Crews will mill the existing pavement and replace it with new asphalt. The existing lighting system will be replaced, bicycle accommodations will be provided and the existing corrugated median will be removed.
- Northbound Business 51, from Kent Street to Townline Road, will be reduced to a single lane of traffic beginning Monday, April 28 at 7 a.m.
- Southbound Business 51, from Kent Street to Townline Road, will be reduced to a single lane of traffic. Crews will complete conduit borings across Business 51 beginning Monday, May 5.
- The Wausau Metro Ride will be closing some bus stops along northbound Business 51, the following locations will remain open during stage one; East Ross Avenue, East Weston Avenue, East Miller Avenue, and East Sturgeon Eddy. All active stops will be identified with signing.
- Motorists can expect to encounter one lane in each direction and should plan for delays during peak travel times.
Highway: US 51
Location: Marathon County U and K/Business 51 interchange, Wausau
Schedule: April 1, 2013 to late November 2014 Cost: $28 million Description: Crews will reconstruct the interchange.
- Decator Drive, under US 51, for the southbound US 51 bridge reconstruction has daily closures from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. that will last through early June.
- The speed limit on US 51 is reduced to 55 MPH between Bridge Street and Decator Drive.
- Motorists can expect to encounter single lane closures on US 51, except during peak traffic hours, holidays and on weekends.
- Northbound US 51 traffic exiting to County K/Business 51 is detoured via the northbound US 51 off-ramp to County U, and Merrill Avenue/County U.
- The eastbound and westbound lanes of County K (Business 51) under the US 51 bridges are closed and will remain closed until early October 2014. During the closure, traffic is detoured via County U and Overlook Drive.
- The on-ramp to southbound US 51 from County K is closed and will remain closed until early October 2014.
- The on-ramp to northbound US 51 from County K (Business 51) and the southbound US 51 off-ramp to County K (Business 51) will remain open to traffic.
Location: Portage to Packwaukee
Schedule: March 24, 2014 to mid-July 2014
Cost: $1.3 million Description: Crews will complete bridge maintenance on the northbound I 39 bridges over Neenah Creek, County O, WIS 23/County P, County CX, and WIS 23/County P. The Grouse Drive bridge over I 39 will be raised to meet current design and safety standards.
Traffic impacts: During construction, motorists on I-39 can expect to encounter single lane closures and a speed reduction to 55 MPH. Grouse Drive will be closed after Memorial Day until mid-July. No formal detour will be posted.
Highway: US 51
Location: Old Hwy 70 (Minocqua) to 3rd Avenue (Woodruff)
Schedule: March 31 to late August 2014 Cost: $4.6 million Description: Crews will reconstruct the intersections of WIS 70 west and County J to include additional turn lanes and new traffic signals; install new street lighting; reconstruct the roadway with new asphalt pavement and curb and gutter, replace storm, sanitary and water lines.
Traffic impacts: Motorists can expect to encounter a minimum of one lane in each direction throughout most of construction. At times, traffic may be reduced to a single lane with flagging operations. Motorists should plan for delays.
Highway: WIS 156
Location: Robley Road to Lessor Navarino Road
Schedule: April 21, to mid-July 2014
Cost: $897,000 Description: Crews will remove the existing roadway and replace it with a wider pavement surface to provide a safer surface for bike and pedestrian traffic.
Traffic impacts:. WIS 156 is closed to through traffic and detoured via WIS 187, County F and WIS 47. Access to businesses and residences will be maintained throughout the duration of the project.
Motorists are reminded to drive with caution in the work zone and should be prepared to encounter slow moving trucks. Motorists should slow down, use caution and stay alert when driving through construction zones. To avoid delays, consider taking an alternative route and avoid peak travel periods.
For more information regarding traffic impacts in the North Central Region:
- Follow us on Twitter: @511WI_NoCentral for regional alerts from the Traffic Incident Alert System and for construction related traffic advisories.
- Check the Wisconsin Department of Transportation 511 Web site: www.511wi.gov
Alerts and updates provided via these sites are not intended for use while driving. When driving, your focus should always be on driving.