Stevens Point Exchange Student Recognized in Brazil
Hannah Marie Selwyn of Stevens Point is honored during a Rotary Youth Exchange program in Brazil. (Contributed photo)
For the City-Times
The Rotary Club of Itajaí Porta do Vale in Itajaí/SC/Brazil honored Rotary Youth Exchange inbound student Hannah Marie Selwyn of Stevens Point as a Paul Harris Fellow. The Paul Harris Fellowship is named after Paul Harris, one of the three founding members of Rotary. The fellowship was established in 1957 to express appreciation for monumental contributions to the Rotary Foundation’s humanitarian and educational programs. Hannah is a junior at Stevens Point Area High School, spending her studying at a High School in Brazil with Rotary Youth Exchange.
The prestigious award was given to Hannah based on the following leadership roles:
- For having promoted Brazil and its cultural customs to her friends in school in Stevens Point, through a video Skype.
- For having encouraged other young students of her city to join the exchange program.
- By actively participating in the campaign End Polio Now in Brazil and in the United States. (She bought the Lord of Bonfim ribbons and sent them to her club in the United States to support the End Polio Now campaign and, in Brazil, she joined the End Polio Now Santa Catarina).
- For having been the first Exchange Student to announce to the host club officer, she wanted to engage in volunteer work.
- For having been willing to participate in all the meetings of her Rotary Club. She wasn’t able to take part in all of them because the club holds exclusive dates for the participation of the exchange students.
- For her strong sense of self-organization.
- For being aware of her emotions and personal obligations.
- For having helped other exchange students due to her ability with her own language.
- For being a very peaceful and responsible exchange student.
About the Rotary Club of Stevens Point
The Rotary Club of Stevens Point meets every Wednesday at noon at the Stevens Point Country Club. Whether you are a visiting Rotarian, have been a Rotarian in the past, or are thinking about joining Rotary – join us and enjoy a meal and camaraderie.
The Stevens Point Rotary club offers full year exchange opportunities to students 15-19 who are academically strong and are interested in personal development while experiencing a cultural adventure in another part of the world. For more information about sending your student on exchange with
Rotary check out CSRYE.org , email us at [email protected] or Contact one of the Rotary Exchange officers – John Bergin at 414-364-4399, Jennifer Selwyn at 715-498-2334 or Steve Cywinski at 715-252-6550.
Rotary, founded in 1905, is a volunteer organization of 1.2 million business and professional leaders uniting to provide humanitarian service and goodwill through community service projects. Rotary club members work locally, regionally, and internationally to combat hunger, improve health and sanitation, provide education and job training, promote peace, and eradicate polio.
Rotary is nonpolitical, nonreligious, and clubs are open to all cultures, races, and creeds. As signified by our motto Service Above Self, Rotary’s main objective is service – in the community, in the workplace, and through the world.