MREA Offers Gift Ideas for Sustainability Enthusiasts
For the City-Times
With the holidays right around the corner, ‘tis the season to start thinking of gifts for people near and dear to your heart.
At the Midwest Renewable Energy Association (MREA), a non-profit focused on renewable energy, energy efficiency, and sustainable living, we were filled with ideas to make your holiday gifts a little greener. Here are 10 ideas to get you jump-started:
- Membership from an organization that supports sustainability, like the Stevens Point Area Co-op or MREA, Gina Miresse, Membership Coordinator
- Pre-grafted heirloom apple tree from Seed Savers Exchange, Elizabeth Hittman, Programs Director in the Milwaukee office
- Toothbrush from recycled yogurt cups made by preserve, Amiee Wetmore, Operations Manager
- Solar USB Kit capable of charging small electronic devices (sold at the MREA office in Custer), Brown Dog Gadgets, Doug Stingle, Development Director
- CSA Farm Share to reap the bounty of next summer’s produce. Find a farm near you in the Farm Fresh Atlas, Brittany Rosales, Solar Technical Assistance Coordinator in the Milwaukee office
- A gift card to support local businesses like Emy J’s or the Main Grain Bakery, Julie Brazeau, Instructor Development Coordinator
- Use fabric remnants and yarn for reusable gift-wrapping, Karen Blaha, Market Development Coordinator
- Compost pail and a composting book to encourage folks to turn their food waste into beneficial nutrients for gardening or landscaping, Nick Hylla, Executive Director
- Watt meter (sold at the MREA office in Custer) to measure electricity consumption and efficiency of your appliances, Steve Knudsen, Certificate Program Coordinator
- Solar Powered Christmas Lights, which are available at many retail stores, Sandy Crawford, Bookkeeper
Spread the cheer this holiday season with a sustainable-minded gift and help encourage people to support local, sustainable, and reusable products and services!
The Midwest Renewable Energy Association (MREA) is a non-profit 501(c)(3) educational organization. Founded in 1990, the MREA promotes renewable energy, energy efficiency, and sustainable living through education and demonstration. To learn more, call 715-592-6595, email [email protected], or visit www.midwestrenew.org.