Letter: Knaapen Has Experience That Matters
To the Editor-
I’ve read the websites and met and listened to the four excellent candidates for circuit court judge. They are all excellent lawyers, active in community affairs and good citizens. People I am proud to call neighbors.
But what sets David Knaapen apart is the breadth, depth and quality of his legal experience-
- Columbia County Family Law Mediator
- Public Defender-1993 to 2001
- Columbia County Asst District Attorney-2002 to 2003
- Portage County Asst. District Attorney-2003 to the present
- Constitutional Law Adjunct Professor-Mid-State Tech and Globe University- training paralegals and law enforcement candidates on the procedure of law and relevant constitutional issues that impact their profession.
- Portage County Drug Court Working Group-a phased treatment court that seeks to address a defendant’s drug addiction while also addressing other issues that lead a person to the criminal justice system, such as education and job skills; creating an opportunity for a defendant to get meaningful treatment instead of incarceration.
- Portage County Sexual Assault Response Team-a coordinated effort with all agencies that come in contact with sexual assault victims to assure their cases are dealt with effectively and that all agencies work together to assist the victim while holding the offender accountable.
- President of Justiceworks-seeking effective alternate sentencing solutions and restorative justice and rehabilitation versus costly incarceration and repeat offenses.
- Relevant legal experience that matters.
That’s why I’m proud to be among my fellow county residents, including the attorneys, prosecutors, judges and members of law enforcement, who are supporting and voting for Knaapen for Portage County Judge. I urge you to join us.