Shoe Column: Stevens Point Quiz
By Tim “Shoe” Sullivan
Yes, it’s time once again for the Stevens Point Quiz. You say you know all about your fair city. Well, maybe you do. Guess there’s one way to find out. So sit back, put your feet up, take a deep breath, and try to answer the following questions about Stevens Point, Wisconsin. Good luck.
1. What is at the east end of the Clark Street bridge? It’s kinda on shore behind the Chase Bank parking lot.
A. a cannon.
B. a bait shop.
C. Rufus Disher.
D. The Schumann Heink Memorial Bell.
E. A swing set.
2. What always happens at eleven o’clock on Saturday morning in Stevens Point?
A. a canoe race starts at Iverson Park.
B. There’s a parade downtown.
C. a siren sounds off.
D. all of the bars open on the square.
E. There’s a bed race at Mead Park.
3. From reader Mike Suchowski: Stevens Point has many taverns located throughout the city. Which tavern was NOT located on the Stevens Point square?
A. Lenny & Mary’s Melody Bar.
B. The Mint Bar.
C. The Big Moon Saloon.
D. The Little Brown Jug.
E. The Model A Bar.
4. Which drug store was NOT located in downtown Stevens Point?
C. Roska’s Pharmacy.
5. The “Relatives” softball team usually featured Higgins, Higgins, Higgins, Higgins, Higgins, Higgins, Higgins, Higgins, Higgins, and ____?
A. John Riggins.
B. Alan Wiggins.
C. Donny Diggins.
D. Everett “Harvey” Slack.
E. Robert Stack.
6. Where was the River City Diner located?
A. Downtown across from the Fox where Osco used to be.
B. a few feet from the Clark Street bridge.
C. Behind the old Bake-Rite building on Wood Street.
D. In River City, Iowa.
E. next to the American Legion.
7. Where could you hear a live polka band on Sunday afternoons in Point?
A. at the Ritz.
B. at Buffy’s Lampoon.
D. The Final Score.
E. Pete’s Silver Coach.
8. Where is Al’s Diner located?
A. Next to Belts.
B. Just down Jefferson from Worzalla Publishing.
C. Across from the Airport Bar.
D. In the Hotel Whiting.
E. Right next to the Point Brewery.
9. What late Point legend lived in an apartment above Butter’s? He always had Johnny Cash blaring and his apartment was a hangout for many bartenders on the square.
A. Don “The Bach” Bacher.
B. Adam Rutta.
C. Jake Weltman.
D. Shane Gehin.
E. Ronnie Shimek.
10. Which bowling establishment was NOT in Point?
B. Point Bowl.
D. Tomorrow River.
BONUS QUESTION: What Stevens Point street is NOT named after a tree?
If you got all of the questions answered correctly, you deserve a big pat on the back.
THE ANSWERS: 1. D. The Schumann Heink Memorial Bell stands on the east end of the Clark Street bridge. 2. C. A siren always goes off in Point on Saturday mornings at eleven. 3. A. Reader Mike Suchowski informed us that Lenny & Mary’s Melody Bar was not on the square. 4. C. Roska’s was on the Southside. 5. D. Harvey Slack usually played first base for the Higgins’ clan. And sometimes Paul Kostuchowski was in right. 6. A. The River City Diner was downtown where Osco used to be. 7. A. The Ritz Bar on the west end of the square always played polkas on Sunday afternoons and the place was always packed. 8. B. Al’s Diner is just down the road from Worzalla Publishing. 9. A. The “Bach” was a true legend with a ton of friends. 10. D. Tomorrow River. BONUS: D. Elk Street. Thank you for taking our quiz. Just remember … when you’re out of Point, you’re outta town.