Farmers of Mill Creek are year-round stewards of land
By Ken Blomberg
Mill Creek is a stream of minor fame. But, let it be known, the first sawmill in Portage County was erected upon this creek by Abraham Brawley back in 1839. Perry & Veeder occupied a site on the same stream soon after. Thus, the creek was forever after known as Mill Creek.
Today, its headwaters can be traced back to a storm water and wastewater drainage ditch coming out of Marshfield. From there, the creek slips quietly south of the villages of Auburndale, Blenker, Sherry, Milladore and Junction City, then turns south in the town of Carson and finally empties into the Wisconsin River at Biron Flowage.
Mill Creek is a 47-mile tributary of the Wisconsin River that drains 195 square miles of farmland, marshland and woodland. Our family lives in the Mill Creek watershed.
There’s an organized group called the “Friends of Mill Creek Watershed Inc.” which partners with the Wood and Portage County Land Conservation Departments “to educate the public about natural resources and programs that can help improve the environment and increase the overall value of Mill Creek.”
To read the rest of the story, pick up a copy of the Portage County Gazette at one of the many newsstands in the area, including gas stations and grocery stores. Or subscribe at paymentwizard.com/OrderForm.aspx?FormID=1406 to have weekly copies delivered by mail.
A website login function to view full stories online will be coming soon. Any current or new subscriber will have access.
For more information or to subscribe over the phone, call 715-343-8045. Please note, to have access to the online version, you will need to provide an email address.