EPA recognizes UWSP among nation’s leading green power users
The University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point (UWSP) is on the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) Top 30 Colleges and Universities list of largest green power users from the Green Power Partnership.
UWSP voluntarily uses more than 25 million kilowatt-hours (kWh) of green power annually, which represents 90 percent of its total power needs. The remaining 10 percent is also from renewable sources, included as part of Wisconsin Public Service’s renewable portfolio standard.
The school’s choice to use 100 percent green electricity is helping to advance the renewable energy market and support clean energy alternatives.
“We are proud to be recognized by the Environmental Protection Agency for our green power use,” said Dave Barbier, UWSP sustainability coordinator. “By making the choice to use clean, renewable energy, our campus becomes more sustainable and sends a message that using green power is a sound business decision, an important tool in reducing our carbon footprint and meeting the university’s carbon neutrality plan.”
UWSP was ranked 26th among the Top 30 College and University list, which represents the largest green power users among higher education institutions within the Green Power Partnership.
Combined green power use of these organizations amounts to more than 2.4 billion kilowatt-hours of green power annually, which is equivalent to the electricity use of more than 233,000 average American homes annually.
UW-Madison was the only other Wisconsin university on the Top 30 list, which ranks institutions by total amount of green power used. It was No. 13 for its 69 million kWh of green power used, which was 15 percent of its total power needs.
Green power is zero-emissions electricity that is generated from environmentally preferable renewable resources, such as wind, solar, geothermal, biogas, eligible biomass and low-impact hydro.
Using green power helps build demand for the development of new renewable energy capacity nationwide.
For more information, visit www.epa.gov/greenpower.
UWSP partners with Renewable Choice Energy, Wisconsin Public Service, Madison Gas and Electric, Wisconsin Public Power Inc. and We Energies to provide biogas, solar and wind power. The university purchases renewable energy credits through Renewable Choice Energy, a leading global provider of customized clean energy products and services.
In addition to these efforts, UWSP Chancellor Bernie Patterson joined administrators from more than 200 colleges and universities in signing an open letter to urge President Donald Trump and incoming congressional representatives to accelerate progress toward a clean energy future.
The letter, sent Jan. 18, calls on elected officials to support participation in the Paris Agreement, climate research and investment in the low carbon economy. It was organized by a group of higher education institutions and the Boston-based nonprofit Second Nature.
For information and a list of supporting schools, go to www.secondnature.org/higher-education-climate-action-letter.