Adventure, Camp Fun at CWES This Summer
For the City Times
Discover outdoor adventures and new skills at summer youth camps through the Central Wisconsin Environmental Station (CWES), operated by the UW-Stevens Point.
Located 19 miles east of Stevens Point on Sunset Lake near Amherst Junction, CWES has 200 acres of forests, lakes and wetlands. Staff members are trained in first aid, CPR, outdoor skills, games and waterfront safety. Camp scholarships may also be available.
This year, CWES offers a new tree climbing system and stand-up paddleboards for use on Sunset Lake. A new camp offering in August, “Earth, Sun, Water and Wind,” focuses on getting kids outdoors to interact with nature.
Counselor-in-Training opportunities are available for students ages 16-17 who can volunteer at one of the weeklong summer camps in June and July. Contact Tom Quinn, [email protected], for details.
This year’s day- and week-long summer camp offerings include:
· Summer Camp Sampler, Saturday, May 6 – Explore CWES from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. for a free taste of summer camp options and meet the staff. Lunch is included. Call 715-346-2937 by April 27 to reserve a spot.
· Everything Under the Sun, June 11-16, ages 9-11, $375 or $415 with optional horseback ride – The camp has several choices, including kayaking, archery, crafts and/or nature photography.
· Outdoor Skills, June 18-23, ages 10-12, $375 – Hone skills in fly-fishing, tree climbing or shelter building then test them in the Outdoor Skills Olympics.
· Sky’s the Limit, June 25-30, ages 11-13, $375 – Try cardboard boat racing and log rolling and other adventurous activities.
· Earth Explorers, July 5-8, ages 7-9, $275 – The week will include swimming, crafts, pond exploration and campfires.
· Outdoor Odyssey, July 9-14, ages 12-14, $425 – Enjoy excursions to a high-ropes course, Dells of the Eau Claire and paddling and camping around Portage County.
· Everything Under the Sun, July 16-21, ages 9-11, $415 – The same offerings as the first camp, plus a tubing excursion on the Waupaca Chain of Lakes.
· Earth, Sun, Water and Wind, Aug. 13-17, ages 9-12, $325 – Explore the elements and tend to the CWES garden.
· Several Day Camps – 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m., ages 5-10, $45 per day:
o Wild Wisconsin, Tuesday, Aug. 1 – Go on a hiking adventure and create a craft creature.
o Magnificent Mammals, Wednesday, Aug. 2 – Learn about the mammals that live at CWES.
o Aquatic Adventures, Wednesday, Aug. 9 – Explore Sunset Lake at CWES and use scientific equipment to meet aquatic friends.
o Feathered Friends, Thursday, Aug. 10 – Learn more about the birds that live in central Wisconsin.
The camp program is accredited by the American Camp Association, which means it is reviewed by experts from the American Academy of Pediatrics, the American Red Cross and other youth agencies to assure up-to-date safety standards.
To register or find more information on CWES and its offerings, go to www.uwsp.edu/cwes or call 715-346-2937.