A Centennial House: Part 3: The Later Owners
By Wendell Nelson
Of the last three owners of the house at 1701 Clark Street, two were businessmen, and one was a university educator and administrator. Looked at another way, one was a native son, while the other two moved to Stevens Point from other places. It is perhaps fitting that the third and last owner in this narrative is the native son, making the ownership of the house, so far, full-circle. (The first owner, George B. Nelson, was a Portage County native.)
The third owner of the house, Joseph Hartz, was the president of the First National Bank in Stevens Point from 1955 until 1968, when he became chairman of the board. He retired from the bank in 1970, according to the Daily Journal of March 31, 1970.
To read the rest of the story, pick up a copy of the Portage County Gazette at one of the many newsstands in the area, including gas stations and grocery stores. Or subscribe at https://www.shopmmclocal.com/product/portage-county-gazette/ to have weekly copies delivered by mail.
For more information or to subscribe over the phone, call 715-343-8045.