Business 51 reconstruction scheduled in Plover, Whiting
Construction information meeting scheduled July 9
The reconstruction of Business 51 (Post Road), between Hickory Street and Minnesota Avenue, is scheduled to begin as early as Wednesday, July 11.
James Peterson Sons, Inc., is the prime contractor for the $15.2 million improvement project. Work includes:
- Widening the bridge over McDill Pond
- Adding raised medians with turn lanes
- Replacing the water main system under Business 51
- Reconstructing the storm sewer system
- Replacing the existing sidewalk with new sidewalk and curb ramps that meet current ADA requirements
- Replacing the street lighting system
- Reconstructing the intersections with Tommy’s Turnpike and County HH by adding additional turn lanes
Construction information meeting
A public meeting is scheduled to take place from 5 to 6 p.m. on Monday, July 9, 2018 Whiting Municipal Center, 3600 Water Street, Stevens Point. The purpose of the meeting is to provide information regarding the contractor’s schedule and how traffic will be managed during the reconstruction. A brief presentation is scheduled to begin at 5 p.m. The remainder of the meeting will follow an informal, open house format.
Traffic impacts during construction
- Business 51 will remain open to at least one lane in each direction.
- Motorists can expect to encounter flagging operations, lane closures, and traffic shifts.
Construction is scheduled for completion in November 2019. The schedule is dependent on favorable weather conditions and construction progress.
For more information regarding traffic impacts, transportation news and improvement project updates in Wisconsin’s north central region:
- Follow us on Twitter: @WisDOTnorthcent
- Visit the region’s 511 website: http://projects.511wi.gov/region/north-central/
Motorists are reminded that using handheld cell phones in Wisconsin work zones is illegal.