Autumn programs at Schmeeckle Reserve this October
For the City Times
STEVENS POINT — Enjoy the colors of autumn this October through programs at the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point’s Schmeeckle Reserve, including the annual Fall Candlelight Hike Festival.
Taught by UW-Stevens Point students, the free programs meet at the reserve’s Visitor Center, located at 2419 North Point Dr., Stevens Point, unless otherwise noted. For more information, call 715-346-4992 or go to www.uwsp.edu/cnr/schmeeckle. Dress for the weather, as most programs are outdoors.
October programs include:
· Falling Colors, Thursday, Oct. 11, 5:30-6:30 p.m. Discover the secrets behind the changing leaves on a hike in the reserve, then create leaf crafts and sample traditional fall treats.
· Sculptures Come Alive, Saturday, Oct. 13, 2-3 p.m. Meet at the Stevens Point Sculpture Park, 900 North Second Street, and hear behind-the-scenes stories about the park’s artwork.
· Mysterious World of Mushrooms, Tuesday, Oct. 16, 5:30-6:30 p.m. Explore the mysteries of the world of mushrooms on the forest floor at Schmeeckle Reserve.
· Hallowed Traditions Come Alive! Tuesday, Oct. 23, 5:30-6:30 p.m. What is the true story of Halloween? Learn about the 2,000-year-old holiday’s cultural and religious traditions.
· 2018 Fall Candlelight Hike Festival, Friday, Oct. 26, 6-9 p.m. Join in as Schmeeckle Reserve explores “Bloodsuckers of Schmeeckle” with family educational campfire programs at 6:30 and 7:30 p.m. Tour the new Friends Amphitheater and enjoy half-mile and one-mile walks along torch- and jack-o’-lantern-lit paths, hands-on activities, parasite displays and free crafts and snacks. The event is free, with a suggested donation of $2 per person or $5 per family.