Time Capsules: The stories that graced the Gazette
Compiled by Kris Leonhardt
10 years ago: July 24, 2009
- A Plover woman pleaded guilty July 17 for her role in a scheme to murder a Rosholt man last November.
- The statue of St, Michael the Archangel at the west entrance of St. Michael’s Hospital has been restored to its former appearance.
- Passenger traffic at the Central Wisconsin Airport is 11 percent below last year’s level for the first six months of 2009. Airport manager Tony Yaron blames the lower figures on the poor economy.
20 years ago: July 23, 1999
- The Federal Communications Commission says Stevens Point can’t deny a rate increase to Marcus Cable, now Charter Communications, for cable television service.
- The Stevens Point Common Council supports a telephone park at the intersection of Highways 10 and P to replace the telephone parkway at the west end of Clark Street.
- Stevens Point will install sidewalks on the west side of Wilshire Boulevard between Main and Prais Streets.