Lichtfield, Weinfurter take Championship honors in CWRA Tour at Golden Sands
The CWRA Stars to Legends Tour as presented by Smiley’s Old Time Diner raced for the final time in 2019, as the season championship race was held at Golden Sands Speedway in Plover Friday, Aug. 23.
When all the dust had settled, it was Steve Lichtfeld of Pardeeville and Jeff Weinfurter of Wisconsin Rapids taking top honors in the two 30 lap Feature events.
With his latest win, and after a 10-race schedule, Weinfurter is the 2019 CWRA Stars to Legends Tour Champion, as he won the title for the second consecutive year.
The first 30-lap main found Chad Devine of Appleton and Paul Paine of Mound, Minn., pacing the field. The two raced side by side for the first five laps, with Lichtfeld looking for room to pass.
It came when the two leaders tangled, causing a caution flag, which sent the two to the rear of the field and Lichtfeld to the front for the restart. Lichtfeld would take the lead on the restart, while others battled behind.
Greg Back of Ringle and Neil Knoblock of Wausau were fighting for the second and third positions, as Lichtfeld continued to stretch his lead.
Knoblock would take the second spot with eight laps to go, and move nearly to the leader’s bumper, but that’s where he remained as Lichtfeld grabbed the checkered flag in first followed by Knoblock, Back, Weinfurter, Chad Butz of Green Bay and Harley Jankowski of Sparta.
With Weinfurter’s placing in the Feature, he officially clinched the CWRA Stars to Legends Tour Crown.
Jankowski’s finish earned him 2019 Rookie of the Year honors.
The second 30-lap Feature again found Paul Paine on the front row, as he started from the pole position in the race.
Alongside him was Upper Michigan, full-time Tour racer and sponsor, Putch Bentley of Iron River, Mich. Paine got the early jump, and led for the first 15 laps, with Nick Roehl of Fond du Lac in pursuit after passing Bentley.
Travis Volm of Mosinee challenged Bentley for the third spot, but contact between the two caused a six-car melee behind them, which forced a yellow flag caution that slowed the action.
Once the mess was cleaned up and the green flag reappeared, it was Paine and Weinfurter, due to the double file restart, lined up side by side.
They raced that way for the next five laps, but at the half-way point, Weinfurter finally inched ahead with Paine on his tail in second.
Roehl and Darek Gress of Neillsville were battling behind the leading duo, with nary an inch given. Weinfurter’s consistent lap times got him a three-car-length lead, and he would maintain the gap to the checkered flag.
It was Weinfurter’s seventh win of the CWRA campaign, which culminated in another Championship for the veteran driver. Following Weinfurter at the finish were Paine, Darek Gress, Butz, Roehl and Mitch Stankowski of Wausau, as the Top 6 finishers.
A field of 27 CWRA race cars participated in the program, in front of a very enthusiastic Friday night crowd.
The final 2019 point standings found Jeff Weinfurter in first with 757 points, followed by Butz (682), Mark Mackesy (668), Jankowski (611), Darek Gress (593), Volm (580), Roehl (544), Stankowski (532), Dillon Mackesy (517) and Frank Nitzke (481).
With the running of this event, that concludes the CWRA Stars to Legends Tour as presented by Smiley’s Old Time Diner, 2019 racing season. Two “Open” CWRA races remain, however, Aug. 31 and Sept. 6 at Marshfield Motor Speedway in Marshfield.
Plans are already underway for the 2020 CWRA Tour season, with a new schedule released sometime after the first of the year.
30 lap Feature one 1.Steve Lichtfeld, Pardeeville, WI.,2. Neil Knoblock, Wausau, WI., 3. Greg Back, Ringle, WI., 4. Jeff Weinfurter, Wis. Rapids, WI., 5. Chad Butz, Green Bay, WI., 6. Harley Jankowski, Sparta, WI., 7. Darek Gress, Neillsville, WI., 8. Mitch Stankowski, Wausau, WI., 9. Mark Mackesy, Wausau, WI., 10. Travis Volm, Mosinee, WI., 11. Dillon Mackesy, Athens, WI., 12. Nick Roehl, Fon Du Lac, WI., 13. Mike Reichenberger, Appleton, WI., 14. Monte Gress, Neillsville, WI., 15. Putch Bentley, Iron River, MI., 16. Paul Paine, Mound, MN., 17. Rachel Kallas, Winneconne, WI., 18. Mike Sievers, Wis. Rapids, WI., 19. Greg Matthews, Wis. Rapids, WI., 20 Kirby Kurth, Wis. Rapids, WI., 21. Chad Devine, Appleton, WI., 22. Frank Nitzke Berlin, WI., 23. Brett Breitenfeldt, Wausau, WI., 24. Rob Christen, Holmen, WI., 25. Ted Griffith, Friendship, WI., 26. Derrick Van Dreel, Stevens Point, WI., 27 Paul Nitzke, Berlin, WI.
30 Lap Feature two 1. Weinfurter, 2. Paine, 3. D. Gress, 4. Butz, 5. Roehl, 6. Stankowski, 7. Sievers, 8. M. Mackesy, 9. Jankowski, 10. Kallas, 11. Devine, 12. Lichtfeld 13. Van Dreel, 14. Kurth, 15. F. Nitzke, 16. Breitenfeldt, 17. Christen, 18. Griffith, 19. D. Mackesy, 20. P. Nitzke, 22. Volm, 23. M. Gress, 24.M. Reichenberger, 25. Knoblock, 26. Back, 27. Matthews, DNS.
Bentley Trucking Group Qualifying 1. Mark Mackesy
10% off Product certificate 3rd place Feature one Greg Back
5th place Feature two Nick Roehl
Bentley Trucking $100 cash Fast Qualifier Mark Mackesy
Coleman Racing Products
$50 Product certificate “Brake of the Race” Feature one Paul Paine
$50 Product certificate “Brake of the Race” Feature two Dillon Mackesy
Diamond Racing Wheels $50 certificate 1st Feature Steve Lichtfeld
$50 certificate 2nd Feature Jeff Weinfurter
Don’s Auto and Truck Checkers $25 cash Steve Lichtfeld $25 cash Jeff Weinfurter
or Wreckers $50 cash Putch Bentley
Howe Racing Ent.
$50 Product certificate Hard Charger Feature one Neil Knoblock 11th-2nd
$50 Product certificate Hard Charger Feature two Jeff Weinfurter 13th-1st
QA-1 Prec. Products $50 certificate Feature one Mitch Stankowski, 8th
$50 certificate Feature two Mark Mackesy, 8th
Tiry’s Race Engines
$100 off certificate Feature one Harley Jankowski, 6th
$100 off certificate Feature two Mitch Stankowski, 6th
CWRA Stars to Legends Tour point standings as of 8/23/19 FINAL
- #3 Jeff Weinfurter, Wis. Rapids, WI., 757
- #8 Chad Butz, Green Bay, WI., 682
- #12 Mark Mackesy, Wausau, WI., 668
- #8 Harley Jankowski,(R) Sparta, WI., 611
- #107.5D Darek Gress, Neillsville, WI. 593
- #76 Travis Volm, (R) Mosinee, WI. 580
- #52 Nick Roehl,(R) Fond du Lac, WI., 544
- #19 Mitch Stankowski,(R) Wausau, WI., 532
- #93 Dillon Mackesy,(R) Athens, WI., 517
- #18 Frank Nitzke, Berlin, WI., 481
- #12 Putch Bentley, Iron River, WI., 476
- #6 Mike Sievers, Wis. Rapids, WI., 463
- #107.5M Monte Gress, Neillsville, WI., 438
- #12 Derrick Van Dreel, Kellner, WI., 403
- #27 Paul Paine, Mound, MN., 398
- #70 Rachel Kallas, Winneconne, WI,. 392
- #5 Mike Reichenberger, Appleton, WI., 381
- #14 Brett Breitenfeldt, Wausau, WI., 368
- #6 Greg Back, Ringle, WI., 291
- #2 /28 Darren Jackson, Wis. Rapids, WI., 284
- #55 Dakota Blakeslee, Rudolph, WI., 211
- #8 Greg Matthews, Wis. Rapids, WI., 203
- #32 Steve Lichtfeld, Pardeeville, WI., 196
- #54 Chad Devine, Appleton, WI., 193
- #64 Rob Christen, Holmen, WI., 192
- #40 Curt Tillman, Rockton, IL., 163
- #55/1W Jesse Pokzyk. Friendship, WI., 161
- #7 Joey Pontbriand, Norway, MI., 153
- #2 Ted Griffith, Friendship, WI., 152
- #93 Andrew Morrissey, Deerfield, WI., 150
- #7-11 Neil Knoblock, Wausau, WI., 135
- #7 Brian Henry, Omro, WI., 133
- #85 Kirby Kurth, Wis. Rapids, WI., 123
- #44 Mike Lichtfeld, Portage, WI., 115
- #28 Jesse Bernhagen, Stevens Point, WI., 93
- #25 Alyssa Larson, (R) Green Bay, WI., 86
- #50 Hunter Stenson, Wis. Dells, WI., 84
- #1W Eugene Gregorich, Jr., 82
- #79 Dan Lindsley, Norway, WI., 82
- #2 Tod Stenson, Wis. Dells, WI., 69
- #63 Jason Stark, Sparta, WI., 67
- #6 Thayran Rezin, Tomah, WI., 65
- #8 Nate Steif, Wausau, WI., 51
- #360 Daron Fish, Lyndon Station, WI., 50
- #33 Mike De Angelo, Gwinn, MI., 48
- #06 Dave Neitzke, Eureka, WI., 46
- #85N Paul Nitzke,Berlin, WI., 33
- #2 Rick Shone, Lyndon Station, WI., 32
- #33 Jay Potter, Rome, WI., 31
- #76 Pete Moore, Columbus, WI., 30
- #41 Scott Stanchina, Kingsford, MI., 0