A new era: The Grove
As the Sisters of St. Joseph convent enters a new era, we take a look at the order’s formation and the creation of their facilities, along with their ongoing stewardship in the community.
Final installment in the series
By Kris Leonhardt
In history, a grove was often viewed as a safe space for respite from the outside world, but no word is more befitting of the planned incarnation of the Sisters of St. Joseph convent grounds.
As the sisters move to their new home in Ohio, the congregation is working to repurpose the 40-acre convent property in a way it would benefit the Stevens Point community.
In keeping with their beliefs, the property will undergo a redevelopment which will leave little impact on the grounds and existing wooded areas, while repurposing the facility.
“The Grove,” named for the wooded property on which it resides, will serve as an intergenerational neighborhood combining senior living apartments with townhouses geared toward twentysomethings.
Architectural plans show the 1901, 1915, and 1964 living areas being converted into senior apartments, while the chapel is remodeled into a “community serving facility” and the façade remains in place.
Entering an agreement with General Capital on the entire project, plans will also see the construction of three townhouses – two 6-unit buildings and one 5-unit building – and renovations on parking facilities and the property’s heating resources.
Plans also call for a park area on the southeast portion of the property and walking and bike paths, to open up the property.
Future development could include an additional six-unit townhouse and a five unit townhouse, as well as event parking for a nonprofit chapel resident.
The project will also help the sisters financially care for the remaining members of the congregation as they live out their final years.
As the Sisters of St. Joseph of the Third Order of St. Francis exit the Stevens Point area and their 120-year home, they do it lightly and as unassuming as they entered the city in the early 1900s.
While they leave behind a legacy of stewardship, compassion, and educational leadership, they also leave a facility that will continue to nurture the community into the future.